Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Wow! Has It Been a Busy Month!



I notice it's been just around a month since I launched this blog, and I have yet to update anyone about what's been taking place. It took a little longer than anticipated to complete our closing. So now, not only have we been scurrying to get things moved, boxes unpacked and necessities found...I've personally been on hyper-drive trying to get the urban farm up and running.



Just moving 25+ 5 gallon container pots from apartment to house has been physically demanding...but worth every achey muscle! I've been having some pretty long days, but for the most part, deep sleep has been an amazing fringe benefit of all this effort.



On an urban farm, every possible available square inch is used for growing food. Over time, we'll pull up the perennials that outline the entire house, and instead create raised beds, or work with the current beds, as I did with the two Green Globe Artichokes planted today in these beds. These artichokes can grow up to 5 feet. As they grow, we'll pull up the other bushes and perennials in their path.


There's no denying, this is tough work. But when I see these gorgeous Red Acre Cabbages and feel the tennis-ball-sized heads growing inside, or I harvest a small head of Winter Density Lettuce for lunch, I am reminded that it is more than worth it.


**********************************************

Come back soon for my first product review!




No comments:

Post a Comment